I really do enjoy riding my bike. Perhaps too much. Today when I was about to go out for an hour-long ride, I realized there is A LOT OF CRAP a person needs just to go out riding. Now, not all of this is 100% required, but most people will have a good amount of this gear. I had 15 things for my 60-minute jaunt today:
- Heart Rate Strap: I’m a data junkie, so I track my heart rate for rides and runs.
- Garmin: Records Power, Speed, GPS track, Cadence, Heart Rate, Perspiration Rate, Blood Pressure, libido, hydration level, calendar, contacts, tasks, etc. Well, most of those.
- iPod. Some people think this is dangerous. I don’t.
- Flat Kit in my jersey pocket: Tube, tire lever, C02, and an air chuck.
- Sunglasses from my full-price sponsor, Rudy Project.
- Clothes: Shorts, Jersey, Socks.
- Road ID, for emergencies.
- Drink (95% of the time, plain water). I’ll usually take Gels as well, but only use if I bonk.
- Pump. Need this before every ride.
- Aero Geek Flat Kit. This stays permanently tucked under the seat on this particular bike.
- Powertap hub. For recording my effort. Sometimes the display gets stuck on “LOL”.
But, as long as I keep all this crap together (mostly in my helmet), it’s pretty easy to just grab everything in 2 seconds:
Be safe out there friends!